How's it going in your neck of the woods?
After a busy weekend with the family, it's been back down to earth with the usual spin classes and general household duties.
Yesterday I caught up with a friend for a nice lunch in our local Zizzi, we had planned to visit Prezzo that was over the road, but it was closed! Think this covid 'pinging' is affecting everyone in some form or other. Our restaurant had run out of wine, they literally had two to offer due to lack of deliveries. I've noticed shelves in some supermarkets have been empty of random items - it's a crazy world we are living in!
The weather has still been so changeable, I started off in jeans, and ended up in a dress with boots, does it feel like Autumn is just round the corner? I've even put the duvet back on today - maybe that will entice an 'Indian Summer' to appear! 🌞
Today I'm lucky to share enough fabulous blogging friend with you for my At Home With .... series.
I'm so pleased to welcome Hilda - Over The Hilda to the blog - I wonder what secrets and helpful tips she may have to share!
I've bought quite a few dresses over the past few months as I just love wearing them. This is from Matalan and it has worked really well over the Summer months, and by putting boots and a jacket with it, it'll come in handy for Autumn too. It's a two layered eye catching midi dress that has a flattering gypsy hemline frill, long sleeves with elastic cuffs and is covered with pretty flowers on a dark black background .... it's got everything I like and is a joy to flounce around it - definitely one for my Friday night dancing. It also goes well with the addition of denim, love my little jean jacket. 💜💙
It was chilly enough to wear boots today and I can confirm I adore wearing them. These have been a firm favourite for a few years, but admit that the tassels make quite a lot of noise when I walk. I always feel I make an entrance when I wear them - I call them my cowboy boots .. ha ha! 🤠
Now I'll hand the reigns over to Hilda, I hope you enjoy learning more about her. X
When and why did you start your blog?
- I started OvertheHilda in 2016. I felt that there were no blogs for the older woman (in Ireland anyway) and that in terms of fashion, brands seemed to ignore women over 50 who had the disposable income to spend on fashion items that needed to be designed with them in mind. I also felt there was a need to write about other issue affecting older women such as health and wellbeing, relationships, travel and food. When I raised the issue around a Sunday dinner table, the family laughed me out, since I didn't know how to even turn a computer on then! But they all rallied around .. older daughter (the stylish) had a design input and my husband typed my early handwritten blog posts. I can do most of it all on my own now!
Where do you live?
- I live in Malahide, a pretty seaside town (about 15,000 population) about 10 miles north of Dublin City and a short drive from Dublin Airport. I live about a mile outside the town center just 300 yards from the beach with wonderful coastal walks all around (I am originally from the Irish midlands where there are no lakes or coasts so I feel particularly blessed). Malahide has a medieval castle in extensive grounds, the town boasts a good number of restaurants, boutiques and hairdressers and there are some 8 different sports catered for through well-established clubs.
What do you enjoy most about blogging?
- I enjoy the connections I have made with fellow bloggers and other women, not just in Ireland but around the world. It is always gratifying to receive feedback from my readers thanking me for raising particular issues and offering their own experiences. When I recently wrote about my Transient Global Amnesia esisode, I had women from around the world writing to me about their own TGA experiences and that the blog post really resonated with them.
Who do you turn to for advice and help with your blog?
- After their initial misgivings, the family members have been most supportive. Kirstin always provides useful feedback, Courtney has the fashion eye and is brilliant taking photographs and Graham, who was a wordsmith in a previous life, always helps with fine-tuning the editorial, proof-reading and taking photographs. I'm still a technophobe so if anything goes awry with the website, I'm straight on to the professionals I employ to host the site!
What would you say your fashion style is?
- Hard to describe it exactly but perhaps best to say 'classic with a twist'. I admire other women's style but they may not suit me. I need more structure to what I'm wearing although I'd love to be able to wear a more fluid, boho style but I don't ever want to be stuck in a fashion rut and am also open to try new things. Never say never is my mantra!
Do you have any pets?
- No pets and never have had any. However, younger daughter has a Rottweiler who we have to look after on occasions and even taken for walks!
What's your favourite holiday destination, can you tell us why?
- We rarely re-visit destinations, preferring to try new places as far afield as China, India, South Africa) a safari was a major highlight) and Vietnam, and have enjoyed cruises in the Mediterranean and the Baltic. We are not sun-worshippers at all and prefer activity breaks (four sailing holidays in the Med were memorable, as were some skiing trips until my back gave out).
Is there a favourite fashion item you've bought recently and why did you buy it?
- My Massimo Dutti coat is my favourite buy in recent times and my most worn item is a pair of jeans from the Red Button label that I bought in a local boutique last Summer ... wore so often during lock-down that it probably works out around 1 cent per week.
Do you drive, what was your first car?
- I have been driving for around 43 years and I started off in a Renault 4. I have been driving an automatic for years now and could never go back to manual. We recently traded in a SEAT Ateca and bough a Cupra Formentor e-Hybrid which is a very stylish piece of automobile.
Just for fun, what is your favourite body feature?
- My husband has always said he was first attracted to my smile (and still is, he says) and my dinky 'ears', whereas I like the shape of my legs.
Thanks so much for agreeing to share your secrets here Hilda, it's lovely to learn more about you.
If you want to find out more about Hilda's - you can find her here on the blog and here on Instagram.
#Chicandstylish #LINKUP is live now, do join us with your fabulous outfits.
Who's favourite from last week? Meet Laurie - Vanity & Me Style who's wearing a stylish classic in sultry white and it's a perfect weekend look - do check out her blog featuring this elegant outfit.
Now let's start linking up.
Here are some guidelines.
Link up your fashion and beauty posts, other topics allowed.
We all like to get compliments, so please leave a nice comment when visiting a blog or two.
Also link back to Mummabstylish blog post.
You can also share the love on social media.
Great to have you join me, catch you on Monday my friends.
Goodbye for today. X