Morning my friends.
Hope you're all okay.
The past couple of days have been very nice. I've not actually eaten out or been to the pub yet, but have stepped inside a few more shops than the run-of-the-mill supermarket. I'm planning a shopping trip today and hope to be out early to avoid any crowds. Fingers crossed I come home with something new for Spring. I had planned to get a new darker handbag for Winter, but you know that story- maybe it will be a lighter one for Summer - ha ha. I promise you'll be the first to know what I buy my friends!
I've also spent a lot of time in the garden recently, cutting the grass and hedge and getting planters ready for some new flowers. It's so nice when the weather is good to be outside in the fresh air - keeps my head clear and I adore seeing the birds visiting my new feeders. 🐦
Last month one of my good blogging pals was kind enough to feature me on their blog.
I was elated when Suzy - The Grey Brunette shared bits and pieces about my blogging career, sharing a few photos along the way.
I wanted to return the favour and feature my stylish friend on my blog.
A big welcome to Suzy..
So without further ado, here's the questions and answers from the super stunning Suzy.
When and why did you start blogging?
- I actually first started blogging back in 2008. It was just random stuff about my life. Sine then I've had numerous blogs about books and writing , and then, when I turned 40 (five years ago) I decided to start blogging about style. It was a way for me to get creative with my clothes. I think maybe I was a bit worried about blending into the background after 40 lol. However, because I was doing that on my author blog (I've published 13 novels to date), I decided to create The Grey Brunette to differentiate between the two. That was in January of this year, and things have been going really well since then.
You live in Portugal, how long have you lived there? Why did you move and where from?
- I've actually lived here since 1986! I came with my parents and siblings when I was ten years old. We originated from Rotherham in South Yorkshire and I still consider myself to be a true Yorkshire lass! There have been times when I would have liked to move to a different country, but I am very settled now. I've been married to my (Essex boy) husband for 22 years and we live with our dog and three cats.
How would you describe your fashion style?
- This is actually a tough question for me, because I feel that my true style has only just started to come through. I would say I am more experimental now that I have been before. I used to be a skinny jeans and tee-shirt kinda gal, and when we went out for dinner I'd wear skinny jeans w0th a dressy top and heels. These days, you're much more likely to find me in wide-legged trousers, combats or dresses with trainers or chunky boots! I love to wear things that you wouldn't normally put together. I also love to combine textures and colour. I guess you could say my style is a little eclectic these days.
What is your favourite piece of clothing? Why do you like it and where is it from?
- That's another tough one lol. I have so many favourites! Okay, let me think? Hm, I have a pair of soft wide-legged cords in emerald green that I adore. I bought them from Promod a few years ago and if they'd had other colours I would have bought them all! I've got a thing for wide-legged trousers and the emerald green is my ultimate favourite colours. Can I mention a second one? My glittery pink Doc Martens! They sit on my shelf next to my desk so I can gaze at then while I work Lol. I think I bought them from Schuh online, but I'm not entirely certain.
I love a prosecco, G & T or a Porn Star Martini, what is your favourite drink?
- I'm hands down a white whine drinker. Portugal produces some of the most incredible wines and I'm so fortunate I get to drink them on a regular basis lol. I also love Champagne but only drink that on special occasions (and yes, having friends over for dinner is a special occasion lol) I also love port wine. Martini Rosso (with ice and a slice of lemon) and the occasional gluten-free beer!
You are a very successful blogger, can you give us some tips?
- It's so lovely that you think so, but I'm still trying to succeed at it lol! It's not easy but the three most important things are. 1. to not give up. 2. to find your niche and 3. believe in yourself. To be really honest with you, it's only since launching The Grey Brunette that I'm starting to see results - and it's only been three months (which is brilliant!). It's because I'm writing blog posts and sharing images and videos aimed at women over 40. Slowly but surely I'm identifying my ideal reader/viewer so I can produce the things that she wants to see. Watch this space!
If you have any spare time, what do you like to do?
- I'm addicted to the TV! I love watching TV series and movies and I'll often have them on in the background while I'm working. Sometimes I'll even have two computers in front of me. This one that I'm using now for blogging, etc and my old one for streaming TV shows. Like I said, I'm a bit addicted! I'm loving The Irregulars on Netflix at the moment, and I've just started re-watching The X-Files. I love to read too, although lately I haven't been doing much. I'm also a qualified yoga teacher, so I do yoga and meditation five mornings a week - I don't teach though. It's more for me than anything else.
Do you look up to anyone if so who is it?
- I look up to all my fellow style and lifestyle bloggers, to be honest. I think we're a special breed of creatives, putting ourselves out there the way we do. I know a lot of people don't understand why we do it, but it has changed my life, it has given me so much confidence than I ever had before. I also look up to anyone, especially women, who have worked hard to become successful in their chosen fields.
What would you say is the greatest satisfaction of being a blogger and what hurdles do you encounter?
- The greatest satisfaction are the bonds that I'm creating with other like-minded women. And the hurdles, well, there are a few lol. It's very time consuming to produce these kind of posts and videos - the photography, the image editing, the videoing, then the video-editing. Then is can be very frustrating to do all that and see you've only had a couple of views on YouTube for instance. But that's all part and parcel of being a blogger/YouTuber. One of my strengths is my positivity, no matter how hard it is, or how long it takes, I'm here for the journey, and I'm going to enjoy the ride!
Finally ... who takes you photographs? Can you give any advice to our followers. Eg ... do you use a tripod, camera or phone, any tips you might have!
- I used to get my husband to take the photos, and he still does - occasionally. But mostly I take them myself using my DSLR camera (Nikon D3200) and a remote control. I use a tripod which is ancient but it works. I've actually just ordered one of those little Joby Gorillapod tripods that you can wrap round branches and stuff, which will be more helpful when I'm shooting outdoors. All my blog photos are taken with my Nikon, mainly with my 50mm lens which takes much better photos than the lens that came with the camera. I've tried using the same camera for my videos, but I struggle to get it to focus properly, so I've started using my husband's Go-Pro as well as my Huawei phone and an old Iphone 6 that I've got. I've also just ordered a halo light for when I'm shooting my YouTube videos. It'll be interesting how I get on with that, especially considering I wear glasses lol. I'm still learning myself, but I definitely recommend getting a remote control, and, if you haven't already, a 50mm lens for your camera if you have a DSLR
Jacqui, thank you so much for having me on your blog. This has been amazing!
Isn't it fascinating to read more about our blogging friends, there's so much more when you scratch the surface.
Do pop over to find out more about Suzy ... The Grey Brunette.
Time for the #Chicandstylish #LINKUP
Who's favourite from last week? Welcome .... Jill - Doused in Pink. I always seem to be 'having a moment' with jumpsuits and was immediately drawn to this printed jumpsuit Jill shared the other week. I love the colour on her and would wear this in a heartbeat! Do step over to check out the rest of her gorgeous styles. X
Now let's start linking up.
Here are some guidelines.
Link up your fashion and beauty posts, other topics allowed.
We all like to get compliments, so please leave a nice comment when visiting a blog or two.
Also link back to Mummabstylish blog post.
You can share the love on social media.
Good to have you join me this Thursday, catch up again on Monday. xx
Bye for now. x